Thứ Sáu, 29 tháng 1, 2016

Listening skill- lesson 15

Dương Văn Chín Share:












Click here to go to video on youtube (if you could not see video on this blog)

Nguồn video: Sưu Tầm
Tất cả nội dung, sưu tầm, links này đều phục vụ việc tự học, không có mục đích kinh doanh-đào tạo thu phí!
Nguồn Ảnh: https://www.google.com/

Lesson 15: Certainty and Uncertainty

Basic patterns:
to be honest I'm not certain 
maybe 
I couldn't say for sure
i couldn't say for definite
i couldn't say absolutely
I'm positive that he did it
I'm certain of it
I'm not sure that's a good idea
I can't be certain of what time i left the office
I have no idea where my shoes are
I'm not certain if he's telling the truth
are you certain this is what you want to do
i swear  this is the truth
i have no doubt about how I feel
absolutely


Dialogue 1:
did you hear about Jerry?
 yeah he's supposed to be real sick 
that's what I heard too
do you know why he's sick?
no, to be honest I'm not certain 
I thought it was just an ordinary flu 
that's probably is, but it seems to be a little worse than that 
maybe I think the doctor isn't sure 
did the doctor even have a guess?
he said it could be an infection
well that's not very helpful it could be more specific
I know especially since we work with Jerry 
yeah I hate to catch when he has 
me too I wish we could know for sure

Dialogue 2
do you have any idea where we are right now ?
I couldn't say for sure 
what would you guess ?
well we turned off of Houston Avenue about five minutes ago
 that sounds right, yes I think that's true 
ok and I think we headed south but I'm not positive about that
 no we turned left about a minute ago so we're no longer pointing south 
your right, we must be headed east again 
and we've been driving about a minute East already 
so we're somewhere near the harbor 
I wish we knew for certain where the highway was 
no way to tell I think we should keep going east
if you're confident that this is east ok we'll go this way
well I can't be certain but let's keep this direction and try 
at this point what harm could it do 
that's exactly what I was thinking

Dialogue 3
where are you going?
 I'm going to mister Hamptons office
 what for ?
well if you must know I'm turning in a late assignment
the only reason I ask is there not certain he's there right now 
why not?
 I thought I saw him left school about 30 minutes ago 
that's awful what can I do now?
can you turn it in tomorrow ?
I don't think so, I'm not sure but I'd rather not wait 
maybe you could just slip it under his door 
that's a good idea I hope that is acceptable to mr. Hampton 
i'm sure he'll accepted even if it is late 
thanks for the idea I'll go over there now
ok good luck

Dialogue 4:
did you see the newspaper today? they're starting dismissed murder trial 
that's what I heard. do you think he did it ?
I'm positive that he did it 
how can you be so sure ?
he confessed to the police
He said that they forced him to confess 
oh come on how would they force him to confess ?
I'm sure they have ways, besides, his lawyer wasn't informed so the confession doesn't count
well they also found his fingerprints at the scene ?
that makes sense he says he found the body 
I don't believe him
 I'm not so sure what motive did he has 
how should I know he's crazy 
all that's not fair
do you think the police made a mistake, could you do a better job ?
maybe not, but the police make mistakes all the time
well I think he did it, I'm certain of it 
with that kind of logic, it's a good thing you're not on the jury, I'm certain that much

Dialogue 5
dear, did you call the plumber yet ?
no, I told you I'll take care of the sink myself 
please don't try that again 
what, don't you have any confidence in my abilities
 no I don't,  call the plumber
 why do you say that
remember the washing machine, you didn't do a very good job with that
 yes but I learned ,I'm certain I can fix the sink ,just give me a chance 
not this time we can afford a plumber call him
ok fine I'll call a plumber

Substitution drills:
1. do you know why he is sick?
do you know why he is ill ?
do you know why he is not well ?
do you know why he is unhealthy ?

2. I think the doctor isn't sure
I think the doctor doesn't know
I think the doctor can't say
I think the doctor isn't certain

3. did the doctor even have a guess?
did the doctor even have a theory?
did the doctor even have an idea?
did the doctor even have a clue?

4. I couldn't say for sure
I couldn't say for certain
I couldn't say for definite
I couldn't say absolutely

5. do you have any idea where we are right now?
do you have any idea where we are at this time?
do you have any idea where we are at this moment?
do you have any idea where we are currently?

6. I wish we knew for certain where the highway was
I wish we knew for certain where the road was
I wish we knew for certain where the street was
I wish we knew for certain where the interstate was

7. well if you must know I'm turning in a late assignment
well if you must know I'm handing in a late assignment
well if you must know I'm giving a late assignment
well if you must know I'm finishing a late assignment

8. can you turn it in tomorrow?
can you turn it in next week?
can you turn it in later ?
can you turn it in now ?

9. I hope that is acceptable to mr. Hampton
I hope that is OK with Mr Hampton
I hope that is alright with Mr Hampton
I hope that is fine with Mr Hampton

10. did you see the newspaper today ?
did you hear the radio today ?
you see the news today ?
do you see the TV today ?

11.  he says that they forced him to confess
he says that they made him confess
he says that they compelled him to confess
he says that they induced him to confess

12. what motive did he have ?
what reason did he have?
what caused did he have  ?
what incentive did he have ?

13
no I told you I'll take care of the sink myself
no I told you I'll fix the sink myself
no I told you I'll repair the sink myself
no I told you I'll see to the sink myself

14. don't you have any confidence in my abilities
don't you have any faith in my abilities
don't you have any trust in my abilities
don't you have any belief in my abilities

15
he's crazy
he's mad
He is insane
he's mentally ill

Monologue:
pam was glad that Olivia was not on a jury
juries decide if a person is guilty or innocent of a crime in most serious trials in america
this is a tradition dating back to medieval England
today a jury is a group of 12 people selected from all walks of life
they are not experts on the law
the experts are the lawyers 1 for the accused and one for the government who must convince the jury of their side
many americans tried to avoid jury duty for that reason
it often means that they are isolated from their families and have to miss work
on the other hand some particularly exciting or famous trials can be very interesting for those on the jury 
a famous murder trial would be an  interesting distraction from ordinary life

Published by Dương Văn Chín

Visit Dương Văn Chín's Facebook or Blog
Follow us Facebook.Click here Follow us Blog.Click here

0 nhận xét:

TOP